Everything You Need to Know About Pregnancy-Safe Skincare
Being pregnant means you have another human that you have to think about 24/7. You have to carefully consider the foods you consume and the lifestyle that you live, but it doesn’t end just there. What you put on your body is just as important to think about when you’re pregnant as what you put in your body— and that includes skincare.
There are certain ingredients that can help your skin while you're pregnant and are completely safe for both you and your baby, and there are others that you should definitely avoid.
Pregnancy-safe skincare is something that every mom-to-be needs to consider. From stretch marks to hyperpigmentation, your skin goes through a lot of changes when you’re pregnant and you’re probably looking for a way to help it. However, it’s crucial that you use pregnancy-safe skincare products that are okay to use for yourself and your baby. But what does pregnancy-safe skincare entail? You’ll have to keep reading to find out.
We’ll go over everything you need to know about skincare while pregnant, including why it’s important to use pregnancy-safe skincare and what to look for in those products. Keep reading or use the links below to get started.
- What Skin Care Ingredients Are Safe to Use During Pregnancy?
- What Skin Care Ingredients Should You Avoid During Pregnancy?
- Why is it Important to Use Pregnancy Safe Skincare?
- What to Look For in Pregnancy Safe Skincare?
- How Do You Know If Your Skin Care Products Are Pregnancy Safe?
What Skin Care Ingredients Are Safe to Use During Pregnancy?
Choosing safe skincare during pregnancy is crucial for all moms-to-be. But there are certain skin care ingredients that you should be aware of that are safe for both mom and baby.
Some of these pregnancy safe skincare ingredients include:
- Hyaluronic acid: Hyaluronic acid can be useful for keeping your skin well-hydrated and gives you that youthful glow.
- Vitamin C: If you’re pregnant and looking for an anti-aging, brightening serum to incorporate in your skincare routine, give vitamin C serum a try.
- Gentle cleansers: When you’re pregnant, you’ll want to double-check that you’re using fragrance-free cleansers that are pregnancy safe.
- Benzoyl peroxide: Benzoyl peroxide is great for treating acne, and it’s also safe to use during pregnancy in small amounts. Just make sure you check with your dermatologist first before using this during pregnancy because it is a stronger skincare product.
- Salicylic acid: If you suffer from acne and redness, salicylic acid face washes can be a great product to use. Face wash with salicylic acid is generally safe to use during pregnancy, but just make sure it contains only a small amount of it.
When in doubt, make sure to ask your doctor.
What Skin Care Ingredients Should You Avoid During Pregnancy?
Just as there are skin care ingredients that are safe to use during pregnancy, there are also ingredients that you should avoid during pregnancy. These are some skin care ingredients that you should avoid during pregnancy:
- Retinol: Retinol is often used in skincare products to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, which is great, but not so much if you’re pregnant. Some studies have shown that retinol usage during pregnancy can lead to birth defects, so it’s definitely something you want to avoid.
- Chemical sunscreen: There are two different types of sunscreens you can use: mineral sunscreen and chemical sunscreen. If you’re pregnant, you typically want to avoid chemical sunscreen. Oxybenzone and avobenzone are often found in chemical sunscreen and they’re both sunscreen ingredients you want to avoid while pregnant. Instead, opt for a mineral sunscreen that’s made with zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.
- Parabens: Parabens are a preservative that’s often found in skincare products, but it’s something you definitely want to keep an eye out for if you’re pregnant. Studies have found that parabens can cause various pregnancy issues like miscarriage and low birth weight.
Why is it Important to Use Pregnancy Safe Skincare?
There are many reasons why it’s important to choose safe skincare for pregnancy. When you apply skincare products to your skin, the chemicals and ingredients in those products are absorbed through your skin and can enter your bloodstream.
And if your blood contains ingredients that aren’t safe for a growing baby, that’s going to directly affect your pregnancy. So, you want to choose natural skincare products that are safe for yourself and your baby.
What to Look For in Pregnancy Safe Skincare?
When shopping for pregnancy safe skincare products, there are a few key traits that you should look for. Of course, you want to choose skincare that contains safe ingredients, but there are a few other things you should keep in mind, such as:
- Gentle: When you’re pregnant, you want to avoid any products that contain harsh chemical ingredients that may irritate your skin. Instead, opt for gentle cleansers and moisturizers that will keep your skin hydrated and are pregnancy-safe.
- Fragrance-free: Fragrant skincare products might smell great, but that doesn’t mean they’re necessarily good for you. Fragrances are typically made up of chemicals that can be harmful if you’re pregnant, so you want to choose fragrance-free skincare when possible.
- Natural: Natural skincare is usually a good route to take when you’re pregnant. Look for skincare products that are made with organic, natural ingredients that are safe for your growing baby. This includes sunscreen as well. Colorescience all-natural, mineral sunscreen is pregnancy safe. It will protect you from the sun, but won’t expose you to potentially harmful chemicals that are often found in other sunscreen.
- Dermatologist recommended: If you’re ever not sure what skin care ingredients are safe to use during pregnancy, it’s always a good idea to check with your dermatologist. When in doubt, dermatologist recommended skincare is likely a safer option for you and your little one.
Choosing safe skincare during pregnancy is crucial for all moms to be. But if you’re not sure what pregnancy-safe skincare brand to use, consider Colorescience. Colorescience has a range of skin treatments and sunscreens that contain pregnancy safe ingredients. All Colorescience products are formulated with high quality ingredients, many of which can help you achieve that pregnancy glow.
Pregnancy Safe Skincare for Specific Conditions
It’s normal for your skin to go through changes while you’re pregnant. You are growing another human being, after all. You may experience things like stretch marks, melasma, and hyperpigmentation, which can definitely be frustrating to see.
However, as a soon to be mother, it’s important to think about your baby when choosing skincare products, so it may take a little more research to find the right solutions that aren’t going to put you at risk of unnecessary harm.
Here are some skincare tips to consider based on a few of the most common skin concerns women experience during pregnancy:
- Stretch marks: Stretch marks during pregnancy are inevitable, but one way to prevent them is by moisturizing your skin regularly. Keeping your skin moisturized and hydrated can help prevent stretch marks from forming and keep your skin glowy and supple. Just make sure you use a gentle moisturizer that doesn’t contain any retinol or harsh ingredients.
- Melanoma: Melanoma during pregnancy is actually quite common as it’s caused by an increased melanin production due to hormones. The best way to treat melanoma during pregnancy is to stay out of the sun when possible and wear a pregnancy-safe sunscreen that’s made with natural ingredients.
- Hyperpigmentation: Hyperpigmentation is another common condition that pregnant women often deal with, but fortunately there are many ways you can safely treat it. To prevent and/or treat hyperpigmentation when pregnant, you can stay in the shade, avoid direct sunlight, and always wear sunscreen when you go outside.
How Do You Know If Your Skin Care Products Are Pregnancy Safe?
If you’re ever not sure whether or not your skin care products are pregnancy safe, it’s always a good idea to check with your dermatologist or OB-GYN. A doctor will have the best idea of safe skincare for pregnancy and what ingredients you should avoid. You should especially check with a doctor if you suffer from certain skin conditions.
For example, if you have signs of sensitive skin, you should check with a dermatologist before using a new skincare product while pregnant because you don’t want to irritate your skin and complicate the issue any further.
Prioritize Safe Skincare During Pregnancy
Pregnancy is one of the most special things a woman can experience. You’re growing another human being inside of you, but that also means you have to consider them with everything you do, including what you put on your skin. As a soon to be mother, it’s crucial to prioritize safe skincare during pregnancy to ensure you only use products that won’t pose any harm to you or your growing baby. If you’re in need of pregnancy-safe skincare products that are made with high-quality ingredients, consider Colorescience.
Colorescience is one of the best pregnancy-safe skincare brands for many reasons. We carry a variety of pregnancy-safe skincare products that are okay for your baby and great for your skin. Whether you’re trying to treat acne with a serum or protect your skin from the sun with a mineral sunscreen, Colorescience carries all the skincare products you need while pregnant. Shop our collection of pregnancy-safe skincare today and build a skincare routine with your child in mind.