What is Peptide Serum & Why Should You Use It?
Peptide serum is a skin care treatment that may not be familiar to many people, but it can offer many benefits to your skin. For example, peptides can help reduce wrinkles, ease inflammation, and improve the overall appearance of your complexion.
Sounds pretty great, right? Keep reading or use the links below to learn more about why you might want to add a peptide serum to your skincare routine.
- What Are Peptides?
- What is Peptide Serum?
- What is the Best Peptide Serum?
- How to Use a Peptide Serum
What Are Peptides?
Peptides are chemical compounds that contain amino acids; they're also referred to as polypeptides. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins that the human body requires for optimal functionality.
Due to their ability to provide numerous improvements to the skin, peptides are often used in many facial serums.
What is Peptide Serum?
A serum is a mixture of various ingredients that is often intended to improve the appearance of the skin. Serums are typically used on the face.
Serums typically contain ingredients that penetrate deeply into the skin in order to reverse common skin problems. Peptide serum is a specialized mixture of peptides and other ingredients that work synergistically to improve your skin.
Many skincare products contain peptides as one of the primary active ingredients.
Types of Peptides
There is more than one type of peptide that is used in skincare serums, including:
- Copper peptides: This is one of the most popular peptides used in beauty products for skin and hair. Copper peptides increase blood flow to the hair and skin, which stimulates the flow of oxygen, therefore improving the overall health of skin and hair. Copper is also responsible for the maintenance of hair color and, in some cases, it can prevent hair from turning gray.
- Signal peptides: This is another popular peptide used in beauty products due to its ability to send signals to the cells in various parts of the body in order to accelerate the production of collagen, making the skin look more youthful in the process. You will find this type of enzyme in many facial serums.
- Enzyme inhibitor peptides: These peptides can smooth the muscles in the face and neck areas, helping to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles. This is accomplished due to the enzyme inhibitor peptide's ability to suppress the production of a certain protein that leads to wrinkles and lines.
When choosing a peptide serum, you may want to review the ingredients to see which type of peptide is used.
What Does Peptide Serum Do?
The most notable thing about peptide serums is that they can help your skin look younger. Peptide serums help to make the skin more supple and smooth, as it minimizes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Peptide serum also does the following:
- Provides a barrier of protection: The natural barrier of the skin protects it from the dangers of UV rays, bacteria, toxins, and more. However, this barrier can be compromised by exfoliating too frequently or too harshly, exposure to toxins, cigarette smoke, or even inadequate sleep. Peptide serum helps to fortify this barrier, therefore, protecting your skin from the many dangers that exist in the environment.
- Collagen production: Peptide serum encourages the skin to promote the production of collagen, which is a protein that the body naturally produces. However, as a person ages, collagen production becomes diminished, which is why the skin begins to sag and lines and wrinkles become more prominent. However, with the help of a peptide serum, those wrinkles and lines are filled in, making a person appear more youthful.
- Increased skin elasticity: Not only does peptide serum promote the production of collagen, but it also promotes the production of elastin fiber, another protein that is essential for the skin. With the increased production of elastin, the skin appears tighter and firmer.
- Reduction of inflammation: Peptide serum also soothes inflamed skin, evens out your skin tone, and repairs damaged skin. So if you're dealing with hyperpigmentation, peptide serum can be instrumental in evening out your skin tone.
- Treats acne: Those with acne-prone skin may find peptide serum especially beneficial, because some peptide serums contain anti-microbial properties, which can rid the skin of any acne-causing bacteria.
Does Peptide Serum Work?
Extensive research has been conducted on serums with peptides and its ability to effectively help with multiple skin concerns, and it has been shown that peptide serum can help address wrinkles and other signs of aging.
Unlike some other components in facial rejuvenation products, peptide serum does not simply sit on the outer layer of the skin. Peptide serum thoroughly penetrates into the deepest portions of the skin, which is where it has been proven to go to work on improving facial imperfections in a multitude of ways.
What is the Best Peptide Serum?
There are many different types of peptide serums available and some may be better suited for you than others. One thing you may want to consider when it comes to choosing the best peptide serum for you is what types of skin concerns it is specifically formulated to help address.
Colorescience offers several different serums with peptides, including:
- Pep Up® Collagen Boost: This is a treatment intended for the face and neck areas to support your skin's natural production of collagen. Pep Up® Collagen Boost can help reduce sagging and other signs of aging.
- Even Up® Tone Serum: This serum is formulated for individuals with hyperpigmentation and skin discoloration. Using this serum can help improve an uneven skin tone.
- Total Eye® Firm & Repair Cream : This serum is designed for those who want to address aging around the eye area, such as sagging and puffiness. Total Eye® Firm & Repair Cream promotes the production of collagen in the area, which helps to smooth out lines and wrinkles.
- All Calm® Multi-Correction Serum: If you're experiencing skin inflammation, then this serum is for you. It contains key ingredients to effectively calm inflammation and other skin flare-ups.
- Brightening Primer SPF 20: This serum is meant to help with sun spots on your face. Dark spots can be a source of self-consciousness and make you appear years older, but this serum not only helps protect against further sun damage, but it also helps to improve the appearance of dark spots you already have.
No matter what your biggest skin concern is, Colorescience has a peptide serum that caters to you.
What to Look for in a Peptide Serum
With all the choices available for peptide serums, it can be overwhelming when searching for a peptide serum for your face that can help with your skin concerns. So, how do you choose?
First and foremost, you should check that some type of peptide is listed on the primary, active ingredient list. If "peptides'' isn't one of the key ingredients in the product, then you may want to look into other options.
Some other important qualities to look for in your peptide serum include:
- Hydrating qualities
- Lightweight formula
- Clinically-proven ingredients
You also want to ensure that you choose a serum that isn’t likely to cause negative reactions. For those with highly sensitive skin, some peptide serums can lead to breakouts and rashes—like most other types of skin care treatments. You can find peptide serums that are gentle on sensitive skin, like Colorescience products.
How to Use a Peptide Serum
Even if you've never used a facial cream before, it's not difficult to use peptide serum. You can simply add it to your regular facial regimen fairly easily. You’ll simply need to pump it out of the bottle and gently apply it to your face
The key to using peptide serum is to make sure you apply it to freshly washed skin. So, after you’ve used your cleanser. After you've washed and exfoliated your face and neck area, apply your toner, then the peptide serum according to the instructions on the label. Next, you should apply a moisturizer.
If you're typically sensitive to skin care products, you might want to perform a patch test before applying the serum to your face and neck area. To do this, apply a small amount to your inner wrist and wait 24 hours. If you haven't experienced a reaction, then you should be able to safely use it on your face.
When to Apply Peptide Serum
It's safe to use your peptide serum twice a day, if you desire, but once a day can suffice. However, how often you use it depends on the skin conditions you’re trying to address, your skin care regimen, and how quickly you want to see results. Often, more frequent use can help you see results faster. Generally, people notice results with consistent use of peptide serum in about 1-3 months.
Add a Peptide Serum to Your Regimen & See the Difference
Add a peptide serum to your regimen and see the difference! Using peptide serum regularly can help you achieve a brighter, more even, and a more youthful-looking complexion. To try collagen peptide serum for yourself, shop Colorescience. Our skin care treatments are hydrating and nourishing and formulated to help you achieve the best possible results when it comes to your skin health.